At a Home Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday regarding abortion entry, an professional witness known as by Republicans made a head-scratcher of a declare: Washington, D.C., is actually powered by burning fetuses.

“Our bodies [are] thrown in medical waste bins, and in locations like Washington, D.C., burned to energy the lights of the cities’ properties and streets,” Individuals United for Life President Catherine Glenn Foster proclaimed.

“Let that picture sink in with you for a second,” she continued. “The subsequent time you activate the sunshine, consider the incinerators, consider what we’re doing to ourselves so callously and so numbly.”

Foster, a Georgetown Regulation graduate who earns more than $190,000 a year as president of the anti-choice group, adopted up the declare by accusing individuals who assist ladies’s proper to bodily autonomy of being “devastating to the material of American democracy.”

As of October 2021, almost 93% of the District’s energy era got here from pure gasoline, coal and nuclear energy vegetation, according to the D.C. Policy Center, a nonpartisan think-tank. Wind and different renewables ― not fetuses ― comprise the remaining 7%.

Representatives for the Potomac Electrical Energy Firm (“Pepco”), which oversees the District’s energy provide, didn’t reply to a request for remark Thursday.

Whereas some states, like Indiana, require aborted fetuses to be buried or cremated in a funeral dwelling, they’re disposed of as medical waste within the nation’s capital.

That has led anti-choice activists to accuse Curtis Bay Medical Waste Companies, the most important medical waste incinerator within the nation, of transporting and incinerating fetuses to generate vitality. Lately, an anti-abortion activist discovered with the remains of five fetuses in her apartment claimed that she and a colleague had obtained them from a Curtis Bay employee. The corporate denied the claim, saying firm coverage prohibits it from transporting fetal stays.

Nationwide, round 1% of abortions are carried out 21 or extra weeks right into a being pregnant. Physicians sometimes present them at that stage due to extreme fetal anomalies or threats to the mom’s life.